What can I expect as the victim of a crime

Posted on 12 February 2016

If you have been the victim of a crime and decide to report it to the police, it is important that you understand the steps that come next and how to receive the support you need.

When you report a crime to the police, they will take information about the offence and the crime will be recorded. You will be given a crime reference number, and you may be asked to provide a statement. The police will be able to identify the local provider of support and information to victims and may have told you about this website.

The leaflet produced by the Ministry of Justice (view it here) also details what you can expect from the criminal justice system. It also contains information about organisations that you can contact for free advice, practical information or emotional support.

In some cases if someone has committed a criminal offence and is arrested and charged. The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) will decide if your case will go to court. You can find out more about the CPS by visiting www.cps.gov.uk or calling 0203 357 0000


Read the Victim Information pack by Cheshire Police here 

Last updated 12nd February 2016